Saturday, May 21, 2011

Caregiver - 2nd Phase






I would never thought back in August, after Mom passed away, that I would again be wearing my "caregiver's coat",  but I have been, since February!
After Mom passed, I had to step back from everything to do with caregiving. I stopped writing blog entries, working on my blogsites, canceled the rest of my blogtalkradio shows and ceased interacting with other caregivers. I needed to heal, needed to grieve, needed to see what was going to be next for me, and I had no idea!
I have missed all these things that I let go, but the need that I had to write and to share, the reason for that need passed on August 16th.
I knew I had to go back to work, to do something, but I could not go back to what I had done for over 20 years. I couldn't go back to the world of retail and management, it terrified me.
So, one day I decided to check out homecare and located a couple local agencies on line, filled out a brief application and submitted it. A week later I was called, I went in and filled out all the paperwork and was hired on the spot! My husband asked me if I was nervous about going and applying, I said no, this is where my comfort and confidence is!
So, I have three clients right now. My main client I have on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and every other Saturday---12 hour days! lol It's a great "gig" though! My newest client is on Thurs 9-10, for a get-up, bath and get dressed assist, and my third is Thursday at 5 just to give meds.
I needed to be give to others again, to care for them to show kindness and compassion...without all the negative emotions and situations that I dealt with as Mom's caregiver. Those who know me, and know the job I did with Mom, were not at all surprised that I went right back into the caregiving field. It has been very rewarding for me.
For now, this is what I will be doing. Perhaps some other door will open up later on, but to put me back out into the working world, this is the perfect match for me!
Oh yes, the company I work for is Visiting Angels! People would tell me I sure earned my wings or halo, taking care of Mom the way I did. Guess it's official; I'm an "Angel"!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful and delighted! Cancer is life changing. Be is survivors or caregivers. Everyone I've talked to, talks about life before and after cancer, and if one didn't know any better, you'd swear they were talking about to very different lives. Cangrats of your new path.

    ReplyDelete