Saturday, August 28, 2010

Traveling On The Road Called Grief

Grief, it does not happen only when a person passes away. It is an emotion that accompanies some type of loss or tragedy that has taken place or is taking place in our lives.

"I recently had a moment, where I allowed myself to look into mom’s eyes, and linger there for a minute or so. That moment opened up those feelings of grief, the loss of the person mom once was. I do not allow myself that moment very often because it is painful; however it is a release to let the tears flow even for a few minutes."    I wrote this months ago, and felt it fit into this post on grief, because that was what I was experiencing, even though mom was still with me.

As your caregivers journey takes you on this road called grief, it is important to recognize and share with others these moments.
 
On Friday, August 9th mom stopped eating.  I managed to give her a few bites of pudding, but most of the time she just shook her head no, didn't want anything.
It is Saturday, August 14.  Last Friday mom, stopped eating.  I in my desperate need to feed and nurture her, would continue to offer her some of her pudding.  I managed a few times through those days to get her to take some of it.  But most of the time she would give me a little no head shake.
With mom’s passing on 8-16-10,  grief moved into my life in full force.  I do have the assurance and joy of knowing mom is in heaven and I will see her again.  She is strong, straight, free of wrinkles, and has thick beautiful hair.  But, I miss her. 
We have her remains here in a beautiful scattering tube that was purchased so we could scatter her remains along the Ohio River, her favorite place to swim when she was young.  I go into her room and pick up the container at least once a day, and I cry and I tell her how glad I am that she is in heaven and is perfect and whole now and with dad.  But, I say, I miss you mom.  So much has happened in these days since she left, wonderful things, but on the days that I am home all day, just me and the cats (and now we have a ferret too), I feel the loneliness and emptiness all around me, so keenly aware of the absence of her presence.  I miss her.  Grief is hard to bear yes, but how worse it would be if I did not know where she was and that I will see her again.  Faith and hope, more powerful then grief.
For a season, there will be grief, mourning the loss, missing here and I will go on.  As I was told about 2 ½ years ago, when mom is gone, I will continue on without skipping a beat.  That is so.
For those who have not yet followed my journey as mom’s caregiver these past years, you can do so on my first blogsite, The Bear Hug Waltz,  http://bearhugwaltz.blogspot.com  I will not be posting to that site anymore, as the waltz has ended.   
This Monday will be two weeks since mom passed.  Some days have dragged by unmercifully, while others zipping by.  It seems like a long time ago, yet just yesterday, or maybe the day before, I was sitting here typing and I started to get up to go check on mom.   I slowly sat back down.  No, I don’t have to do that anymore.

I want to include in this blog a post I wrote called the Long Goodbye.  Quite a few people have written posts or articles titled the same.  This one is my version.



The Long Goodbye

goodbye to sewing
goodbye to tole painting
goodbye to quilting
goodbye to doing laundry
goodbye to driving
goodbye to managing money
goodbye to taking trips
goodbye to shopping
goodbye to baking
goodbye to cleaning house
goodbye to doing dishes
goodbye to sending cards
goodbye to talking on the phone
goodbye to cooking
goodbye to reading and word search puzzles
goodbye to walking alone
goodbye to getting in the tub
goodbye to making it to the bathroom during the night
goodbye to telling time
goodbye to cooking
goodbye to going out
goodbye to remembering some times and places
goodbye to remembering some family and friends
goodbye to bathing
goodbye to using the bathroom, only the potty
goodbye to knowing morning from night
goodbye to eating solids
goodbye to drinking liquids
goodbye to feeding herself
goodbye to using a straw
goodbye to dentures
goodbye to blowing her nose
goodbye to sitting in a chair or on the couch
goodbye to using the potty
goodbye to controlled body eliminations
goodbye to talking
goodbye to my name
goodbye to standing
goodbye to sitting unassisted
goodbye to being up in wheelchair for more then once a day
goodbye to always sleeping at night
goodbye to eating what I determine to be enough for her
goodbye to skin staying strong and intact.
hello mom with the twinkle in your blue eyes......

But now the twinkle is gone, at least the earthly twinkle, now a sparkle exists that I can’t wait to see!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment